Job Shadowing & Internship
Job shadowing is a great way to better understand whether or not a career field may be right for you. Ranger Connect students in 11th grade are required to complete a job shadowing experience.
Follow these steps to ensure a successful experience:
- Consider who you know. Brainstorm a list of family members and/or friends' parents who you may want to shadow.
- Make a polite professional request via email or phone call. When requesting an opportunity to job shadow, be flexible with your dates and times. Shadowing can be anything from 1 hour to a full day.
- Prepare a list of questions.
- Dress appropriately. It's always better to dress up too much than to be too casual.
- Double check your directions and how to enter the building.
- Be on time, which means arrive 10 minutes early.
- Be polite, professional, inquisitive, and grateful. Even if you realize their work doesn't interest you, be engaged. They have taken the time to share their knowledge with you.
- Follow up with a thank you note via email or mail.
If you need help with a placement, you can contact area Chamber of Commerces for leads and/or Mrs. Bonnett (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MetroNorth Chamber of Commerce: 763-783-3553
White Bear Area Chamber of Commerce: 651-429-8593
Forest Lake Area Chamber of Commerce: 651-464-3200
Career Launch courses A & B (must be an 11th or 12th grader) prepare and place students in a credit bearing internship which aligns with a career of interest. To be placed in a Career Launch Internship, students must meet the following requirements:
Students who are not able to take advantage of Career Launch A & B are encouraged to carefully consider how their high school employment experiences can help them further develop the skills utilized in their career field(s) of interest. Additionally, students should take full advantage of other Career Launch opportunities:
- Fully participate in Ranger Connect
- Attend Career Exploration Days
- Attend a Career Field Trip (if available)
- Have taken or are scheduled to take 3 courses in the student's preferred career pathway.
- Career Exploration Days
- Career/College Fairs
- Career Field Trips
- Ranger Connect (Xello)